The Hierarchy Viewer displays a hierarchy of related object records, for example, XML Element records or the Product Report, Product Report Item, and Ingredient Product Report Item records in a RIM Registrations Vault. Using the Hierarchy Viewer, you can see all applicable records and complete many tasks from a single Vault page.
How to Open Hierarchy View
To open the Hierarchy Viewer:
- Open an object record, for example, an XML Element record, from Business Admin or a custom tab.
- Click the View Tree Layout button.
- The Hierarchy Viewer opens. To return to the object record view, use the breadcrumb navigation at the top of the page.
Hierarchy View Components
This section explains the various components available within the Hierarchy Viewer.
On the left, the master pane, or Tree View, displays the hierarchy of all object records associated with the root level record. Clicking the Arrow icon expands and collapses each section. Clicking on any item displays it, its siblings, and its descendants in the grid pane.
Clicking the tab icon collapses the Tree View to display a full screen view of the grid pane. Clicking the tab icon again expands the Tree View to display as usual.
On the right, the grid pane displays the record selected in the master pane as the root, as well as its siblings and child records. In the grid pane, you can:
- Filter to display immediate descendant records or all descendant records
- Edit the records’ field values
- Reorder records
When viewing a Content Plan Template in RIM Submissions Vaults, Vault freezes the Name column in the grid pane when you scroll horizontally, so you always know which record you’re viewing.
The Hierarchy Viewer has four (4) types of Actions menus:
- The main menu is at the far right, next to the current record count.
- The record menu appears when you hover over an object record in the grid pane.
- The grid menu is just above the Hierarchy Viewer search field.
- The master pane item menu appears when you hover over an object record in the master pane; this menu is only available for Product Reports in RIM Registrations Vaults
In the Hierarchy Viewer, each record has a Clipboard icon. Object records from child objects have a Checkmark icon. Inactive records have struck-through icons to help you easily identify them.
When you select an item in the master pane, Vault updates the breadcrumb trail directly above the grid to reflect your selection. Clicking a link in that breadcrumb trail refreshes the master pane and the grid pane to display that section.
Customizing the Grid Pane
The Hierarchy Viewer offers options for customizing the grid pane:
Filtering Visible Records
You can choose to either Display Children or Display All Descendants from the drop-down in the grid pane:
Display Children displays only the records that are children of the record you selected in the master pane.
Display all Descendants displays all descendants (grandchildren, etc.) of the record you’ve selected in the master pane.
Filtering on Objects
You can choose which objects to view in the grid pane from the All Objects drop-down. Selecting a specific object displays only columns related to that object in the grid view. Selecting All Objects displays columns for each available object in the grid view.
Resize the width of each column by dragging the edges of the column heading.
Change the order of columns for each object by clicking and dragging the column header to a new location in that object’s column group. An orange line appears to highlight the new location while you drag. You cannot move the Name column.
Adding or Removing Columns
To add or remove columns:
- Select Edit Columns from the main Actions menu.
- In the dialog, you can move fields between the Available Columns box and the Selected Columns box.
- In the Selected Columns box, rearrange the column order using the Up and Down arrow buttons.
- Optional: To reset all settings to default, click Restore.
- Click Save. To cancel your changes, click the X icon or Cancel.
Customizing Column Text Appearance
Sometimes text is too long to fit properly inside its column. In the main Actions menu, the Truncate Cell Text and Wrap Cell Text options let you toggle between truncating and wrapping cell text.
Working in the Hierarchy Viewer
To create a new record, click the Create button above the grid. If multiple objects are available, select the object for which you want to create a record. After you select the object and object type, Vault opens the record creation page. When you click Save, Vault returns you to the viewer and displays the new record.
You can inline edit object record fields in the grid pane.
View as Root
When you initiate the View as Root action from the grid Actions menu, Vault displays the selected level as the root level in the grid pane and the master pane.
You can reorder sibling records:
- Open your record in the Hierarchy Viewer.
- Select Display Children.
- From the record’s Actions menu in the grid, select an option under Reposition. If you select Set Exact Position, the Set Position of Record Within List dialog opens. Enter a position for your record. The position is a number representing the place in the order of all records in the list. For example, entering 3 places the record third in the list.
- Click OK. Vault reorders the object records.
You can search all records under the current parent record using the Search field, which displays above the grid pane:
- Choose which object to search from the object selector drop-down above the grid pane. You cannot search on All Objects.
- Enter your search term. The Hierarchy Viewer only searches the Name field and is case-sensitive.
- Click the Search button or press Enter.
- You can return to your previous view by clicking X in the Search field.
You can use bulk object record actions in the Hierarchy Viewer to edit and delete records. To perform a bulk action in the Hierarchy Viewer:
- Select a specific object from the object selector drop-down above the grid pane. You cannot start a bulk action when filtering on All Objects.
- Optional: Use Search to narrow the list of records to include in the bulk action.
- Open the main Actions menu and initiate the bulk action.
Opening Object Records (RIM Registrations)
When viewing a Product Report in RIM Registrations Vaults, you can click the pop-out icon next to each record in the grid pane to view that record in the mini-browser window while maintaining your current view in the Hierarchy Viewer. From the object record details page in the mini-browser window, you can:
- Edit and save record details
- Access the record’s Actions menu
- Use the arrows to navigate through the list of records visible in the Hierarchy Viewer grid
When you open another record from the Hierarchy Viewer, Vault refreshes the current viewer window with the new details. If the list of records in the Hierarchy Viewer grid changes, the mini-browser window maintains the original list of records. Note that you’ll need to enable pop-ups in your browser to open the mini-browser window.
Showing & Hiding Inactive Records (RIM Submissions)
When viewing a Content Plan Template in RIM Submissions Vaults, you can click Hide Inactive, above the main Actions menu, to toggle between showing and hiding Inactive records. Hiding inactive records shows a less cluttered view in the master and grid panes, allowing you to more easily locate the records you need. When not hidden, you can work with all Inactive Content Plan and Content Plan Item records as usual. The next time you open the Hierarchy Viewer, Vault automatically filters your view to show or hide Inactive records based on your last selection.
When you hide Inactive records in the Hierarchy Viewer, Vault excludes all Inactive Content Plan and Content Plan Item records from the Excel Tree with All Descendants export. Vault also excludes any Active records that are descendants of an Inactive Content Plan section.
You can use keyboard shortcuts to help you navigate fields in the Hierarchy Viewer.
You can export the detailed hierarchy view to Excel™ or CSV. These export actions are available from the main Actions menu:
- Excel Tree with All Descendants downloads the Display All Descendants formatted view and fields in XLSX format.
- CSV downloads the fields in CSV (comma separated value) format.
- Excel™ downloads the files in XLSX format and maintains column headers, column width settings, and filters. For Excel™ 2007 or earlier, choose Export as CSV and import into Excel™.
Note: Vault will not include the following characters in the file name of an export: <,>,:,”“,/,\,|,?,*
Exporting an Excel Tree with All Descendants from the Hierarchy Viewer generates a formatted list with columns for different object fields. The spreadsheet maintains column headers and column width settings.
Each record is a line in the spreadsheet. Indented records match the hierarchy in the viewer, visually representing parent, child, and sibling relationships. Values in the Name column link back to the document viewer for that document.