Users managing global content plans at an organization’s headquarters can leverage Vault’s content plan synchronization capability to incrementally dispatch Global Content Plans as sections are finalized. This functionality allows local affiliates to review and accept or reject the changes Vault will make to the market-specific Submission Content Plan as a result of the dispatch.
This method supplements Vault’s existing content plan dispatching capability: While users can still dispatch a source Global Content Plan in its entirety from an Event, incremental dispatching reduces overall effort in synchronizing the source content plan with the target Submission Content Plan as headquarters users update the source with new records and documents over time. Additionally, incremental dispatching allows affiliates to begin working on their portion of the Content Plan sooner than if the plan is dispatched in its entirety.
To support the review and synchronization, Vault generates a snapshot of the differences between what’s been dispatched from the source global plan and the target submission plans, then makes them available for review in a comparison viewer. Affiliates can use the viewer to accept or reject the proposed updates, then Vault automatically applies the accepted changes to the target Submission Content Plan.
Dispatching a Global Content Plan
Vault provides two initiation points for dispatching Global Content Plans to up to 250 market-specific Submission Content Plans:
- From an Event record
- From a Content Plan (primarily within the Content Plan Viewer)
The available options depend on your Vault’s configuration. See How Vault Dispatches Content Plans for details on how Vault dispatches when you initiate from an Event or Content Plan.
How to Dispatch from an Event or Content Plan
After creating a global content plan:
- Navigate to an Event record in the Draft lifecycle state.
- To dispatch from the Event, select Dispatch Global Content Plan from the record’s Actions menu.
- To dispatch from the Content Plan, open the content plan in the viewer by clicking the Content Plan icon, or by selecting Global Content Plan from the viewer’s Actions menu. Then, locate the content plan section to be dispatched and select Dispatch Global Content Plan from the section’s Actions menu.
- In the Dispatch Global Content Plan dialog, select at least one Document Set. Depending on your Vault’s configuration, you can select additional sets from the drop-down, or click the checkbox next to Select All.
- When dispatch comparison is enabled, you can select a Section in the dispatch dialog. When dispatching from a Content Plan Vault auto-populates the Section field with the current Content Plan record from which you initiated the action. You can select additional top-level sections (up to five total) from the drop-down if the initiating section is a top-level section under the root record.
- Click Start.
Vault begins the dispatch process. When complete, you’ll receive an email and Vault notification. Additionally, when your Vault’s security configuration includes it, Vault notifies the users and groups in the Submission Owner role on the target Application and target Submission records when comparison generation is complete.
When Vault encounters an error and cannot complete the dispatch or comparison generation, Vault sends an email and notification only to the user who initiated the erroneous dispatch. You can diagnose and resolve the errors, then re-dispatch or regenerate the comparison from the related Dispatch Message record.
Vault copies the dispatched source Global Content Plan records and matched documents to each valid Activity’s related Submission when the target Submission does not have a Content Plan.
When dispatching from an Event, the dispatch includes all such qualifying records. When dispatching from a Content Plan, the dispatch includes only the records and documents within the section (or sections) you specify when initiating the Dispatch Global Content Plan action.
When dispatch comparison is enabled and a target Submission Content Plan already exists, Vault generates a comparison showing the differences between the target plan and the dispatched source Global Content Plan.
During dispatch, Vault copies source Global Content Plan records to target Submissions according to the logic below.
- When a target market-specific Submission Content Plan does not yet exist, Vault creates one by copying the dispatched Global Content Plan’s records as well as their ascendants, descendants, and matched documents. From their template, Vault also creates any top-level Content Plan records which are reflected in the template but are not in the Global Content Plan and their descendants (for example, the appropriate module 1 section).
- If there are additional Submission relationship records on the Submission which are not represented in the Global Content Plan, these are not added during the update. Similarly, if there are missing records from the template that are not at the top level, these are not added during the update. You can run the Update Content Plan action after dispatch if you wish to generate these additional records from the template.
- When a record does not have a Lead Market, Region, or Document Set, Vault copies it.
- When a record has a Document Set that matches at least one of the Activity’s Document Sets or a blank Document Set, Vault copies it. If the Activity’s Document Set is blank, Vault only copies records with a blank Document Set.
- When a record has a Lead Market that matches the Activity’s Impacted Market, Vault copies it. If Region is populated, Vault copies records with a Region that matches the Activity’s Impacted Market’s Region.
- When the Copy Relationships option is configured for the dispatch action, Vault copies only the Event relationship records related to the Content Plan records that were dispatched to the target Submission. During comparison and sync, Vault copies only the Event relationship records for the rows accepted for dispatch. When the Copy Relationships option is not configured, Vault does not copy any relationship records.
- When the Enable Application Relationships Application Setting is enabled, Vault copies the in-scope Event relationships to the Application.
- When an Activity record’s Local Disposition is Not Applicable or No action, Vault ignores it.
- When a target Submissions has an existing associated Content Plan:
- For Content Plans which are not in a supported lifecycle state for dispatch comparison: Vault issues an error indicating the comparison is not supported for that submission.
- For Content Plans which are in a supported lifecycle state for dispatch comparison: Vault generates a comparison and updates the target Submission Content Plan based on dispatch acceptance.
When you dispatch a global content plan, Vault also:
- Saves the dispatch summary CSV file as an attachment to the related Event. One file is generated each time you run the action, provided your Admin has enabled attachments on both the Submission and Event objects. On subsequent dispatches, Vault up-versions the dispatch summary attachment.
- Saves the detailed success and failure CSV results file according to your Vault’s configuration:
- When the Enable Dispatch Comparison Application Setting is not configured, Vault saves the detailed success and failure CSV results file for each submission as attachments on the Submission record, provided your Admin has enabled attachments on both the Submission and Event objects. Vault also issues an error indicating the comparison is not supported for Submissions with an existing content plan.
- When the Enable Dispatch Comparison setting is configured, Vault saves the detailed success and failure CSV results file for each submission or synchronization as attachments on the Dispatch Message record.
- Sets the Initial Dispatch Date on the related Event for the first dispatch completed.
- Sets the Last Dispatch Date on the related Event and Submissions.
- Sets the Dispatch Date on the related Submission for the first dispatch completed to the submission.
How to Compare & Synchronize Content Plans
- When there is at least one comparison ready for a Submission Content Plan, Vault displays the Comparison Ready dialog automatically when you open the content plan in the Content Plan Hierarchy Viewer. To access it, click Yes. If you select No, you can click the Review Comparison button at any time. You can also access the comparison viewer from the dispatch email or notification, or related Dispatch Message record.
- Review the comparison for items which Vault will Update, Remove, or create as New during synchronization. By default, all changes are selected. To exclude changes from being applied if they are not applicable for the submission, you can click the checkbox to the left of the item to remove it from the change scope individually, or click the checkbox in the Source panel header to select or deselect all items. You cannot deselect items marked as Mandatory for Dispatch Acceptance in the Global Content Plan.
- When your review is complete and you are ready to apply the selected changes, click the Accept button, then select Yes in the dialog. To reject all changes in a dispatch, click Reject, select a Rejection Reason, then click Confirm.
When you accept changes, Vault begins synchronizing the local Submission Content Plan with the accepted changes from the dispatched Global Content Plan.
Note: When you regenerate a comparison, Vault deletes the existing comparison and creates a new one based on the latest source Global Content Plan and target Submission Content Plan. This allows you to, for example, dispatch a content plan, then update sections separately after dispatch.
You can prompt Vault to regenerate the comparison:
- Within the comparison viewer, by clicking the icon.
- Using the Regenerate Comparison action from the Dispatch Message record’s Actions menu.
About the Comparison Viewer
The comparison viewer is accessible when the related Dispatch Message is Ready for Review:
- From the Comparison Ready email or Vault notification.
- From a Dispatch Message record. To access the comparison, select Review Comparison from a Dispatch Message record’s Actions menu.
- From the target submission content plan for which there are comparisons for review. You can enter the viewer from the Comparison Ready dialog, or from the Review Comparison button in the content plan viewer. The button and dialog appear only when the submission content plan has at least one related Dispatch Message with a Dispatch Status of Ready for Review.
- When there are multiple related Dispatch Messages (comparisons available), Vault opens the list in a tab pre-filtered with the applicable Dispatch Messages for the Submission. Select Review Comparison from the record’s Actions menu of the dispatch you want to review.
When previewing the changes Vault will make to the target Submission Content Plan, the comparison viewer provides several options for reviewing the content plan data:
- The Source panel displays the global content plan structure (Content Plan, Content Plan Items, and matched documents) included in the dispatch. In the first column to the left of the panel, click the checkbox next to each item to add or remove it from the change scope individually, or click the checkbox in the panel header to select or deselect all items.
- Items marked Mandatory for Dispatch Acceptance are grayed out and cannot be deselected.
- If you exit the comparison viewer without accepting or rejecting, Vault remembers the selected records for the next time you or another user views the comparison.
- Filter the Action Type column to view the records Vault will Update, Remove, create as New, or for which there is No Change. By default, the viewer is filtered on rows with an Action Type of Update, Remove, or New. You can also remove the filter to surface rows that are No Change.
- When the Action Type is Update, you can use the From and To columns to compare the source Global Content Plan values against the current target Submission Content Plan values. By default, Vault displays the first three (3) changes for a given record or matched document, one in each row. For items with more than three changes, click Show more or Show less to display or hide the additional rows.
- The Target column displays the matching record or document when it exists in the target content plan. If a new record or document will be matched as part of the dispatch, this field is blank.
- Click the icon to regenerate the comparison, if needed.
- By default, Vault loads the first 2,000 content plan hierarchy rows in the comparison viewer. When there are more records, you can click Load 2,000 more rows or Load remaining rows.
Each time Vault dispatches a global content plan, it creates one Dispatch Message record for each target Activity or Submission. You can use it to track a dispatch and its status based on the relevant fields, including:
- Dispatched By
- Dispatch Status
- Number of Excluded Changes reflects the count of individual changes deselected by the reviewer in the comparison viewer.
- Reason for Rejection reflects the picklist value the reviewer selected when rejecting the dispatch. Picklist values are configurable.
- Reviewed By indicates the user who accepted or rejected the dispatch.
- Sections Dispatched
Vault also includes the dispatch summary CSV files as Attachments to Dispatch Message records when the Enable Dispatch Comparison setting is enabled.